We have several presumptions of what faith is. The most common is that faith is a leap in the dark. Anytime someone is taking a step into the unknown or uncharted path, sometimes we call it a step of faith. No, it is not a step of faith, it is what it is, "a step into the unknown" period.
Let's think about it, if God said "the Just shall live by faith", "anything not done by faith is sin", "without faith it is impossible to please God" and "this is the victory that overcomes the world even our faith", then it implies that faith cannot be a leap in the dark. A step into the unknown cannot be the same as a step of faith, and having faith in God and his word cannot be as mysterious as we all seem to make it sometimes.
Attributes of Faith
Stemming from the above then, what are the attributes of faith?
1. The substance of Faith is known: Faith, in a nut-shell, is to believe enough, align with (in your thought, reasoning, imaginations, words), and act because of, expecting the resulting effect. So the substance of "what is believed" is known howbeit clearly enough. The substance of faith is "Information or Heard Word". The substance of faith in God is therefore Information from God contained in the written word. You can't have faith in what you don't know. You can't know what you don't hear, and you can't hear if there is no proclaimer. (Rom. 10: 14-15)
2. From the definition above, the substance of faith i.e. the heard word, can be aligned with. You hear and you align with it in thoughts, reasoning, imaginations and spoken words.
3. You can act based on the substance of faith. It is easy to act on what you have aligned with. Infact you almost can't act otherwise. When you align with the Word of God, it is easy to act accordingly.
4. You can expect the resulting effect of your faith. I heard it, believed it enough, aligned with it, it is only logical to expect the resulting effect. Infact one of the ways to strengthen faith, in the face of adverse situations, is to raise expectation on what you believe by saying it. You can say, I expect to get result in this particular area, or I fully expect this impact or that impact and I refuse to fret or be anxious etc.
5. Faith is logical. I know this is contrary to publicly held views. People say faith is not logical. It may not be logical to the other person, but to you who has heard and aligned, it is logical. It is because it is coming straight from the word of God. Paul wrote in the book of Hebrew Chapter 10: 34-35 saying, “For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward.” These people endured afflictions because of what they knew. Paul called it confidence is of faith”, confidence because you know! When I am walking in faith, I am acting because I know!
6. Faith can be developed. If you increased your access to a particular information, you faith in that information will skyrocket. It is natural. The more you hear it, the more you are likely to say it, and the more you say it, the more you believe it, and it becomes your reality, and the cycle continues. Romans 10: 13 – 17 made an argument saying; He that calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. But how can they call if they don’t believe, how can they believe if there are no preachers, how can there be preachers if no one is sent. . .therefore faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God”
7. Faith is deeper than obvious facts. It is obvious fact that if you jump over a cliff you will crash land, but do you know that it does not happen all the time? If you begin to learn about parachutes and how they work and then believe the information enough to acquire one, and wear it and deploy it as you have been instructed, then, forget about crash-landing. Faith has taken you beyond obvious fact, beyond the limitations of natural life.
Memory Verse: Rom 10:17 "So then, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God".