Our anchor scripture, "The just shall live by faith, if any man draws back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him" Heb 10:38
Faith has to be a lifestyle to us that have been justified. Like Kenneth Copeland said, we are not just trying to get something to happen, we have signed into a lifestyle.
Proverbs 4: 26 says it well "Consider well the path of your feet and let your ways be established and ordered aright. To live by faith, we need to make the decision that "I have considered the path of my feet in this life, and I have determined and established my ways, to take sides with the word of God in my words thoughts and deeds". I have determined and have settled it that if God said it, I believe it and take sides with it.
Kenneth Copeland always says "Settle it in your mind that you will take sides with the word of God and refused to be moved away from it". This is a position I have taken whether things change or not. See the way Habakkuk 3:17-19 puts it;
" 17Though the fig tree does not blossom and there is no fruit on the vines, [though] the product of the olive fails and the fields yield no food, though the flock is cut off from the fold and there are no cattle in the stalls,
18Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will exult in the [victorious] God of my salvation
19The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]. . ."
Elements of Faith
There are five basic elements that characterize a lifestyle of faith:
1. Paying attention to the word: The measure of attention you pay to the word will determine the measure of knowledge and virtue (Power, godly essence, substance, life) that will flow to you and more besides will be given to those who hear. There is no alternative to paying attention to the word. The Psalmist said "Your word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against you"(Psalm 119:11). It is the word that produces the result.
Proverbs 4; 20-22: "My son give attention to my words incline your ears to my sayings, do not let them depart from your eyes, keep them in the midst of your heart, for they are life to those who find them and health to all their flesh.
Deuteronomy 11:18 - 21 "Therefore you shall lay up these my words in your [minds and] hearts and in your [entire] being, and bind them for a sign upon your hands and as forehead bands between your eyes. And you shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you rise up. And you shall write them upon the doorposts of your house and on your gates, that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens are above the earth". This is the way!
2. Obeying the word and doing it, in and out of your feeling season. 2 Timothy 4:2 in the Amplified Bible says "Herald and preach the Word! Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable. [Whether it is convenient or inconvenient, whether it is welcome or unwelcome. . . ." You've got to obey the word in this in and out of season. God spoke to me sometime in 2008 about obeying the word, he said to me, "I am like management, I am watching, I see all you efforts and all that you do to walk in my word and not bring my name to disrepute, I see what effort you make to keep obeying my word even when no one is looking, and I will reward. I will keep your name from disrepute and honour you in the open where everyone is looking . . ." Praise God. This is exactly what God thinks about you and what he says to one He says to all.
3. Right speaking: Faith is always in our heart and in our mouth. Right speaking is about aligning your mouth with what God said and refusing to be moved away. Sometimes you are tempted to move away, sometimes it is almost as if you are being begged to "please just speak the issues and the problems", but you are not moving away. You keep your mouth aligned to the word. Put your mouth where your heart is. Why?
A. The tongue will dictate the direction of your life whether to lack or to plenty, success or failure etc. Under pressure and not, in good and bad times, you must maintain your confession of faith.
B. If you cease from speaking your own words, then will you walk upon your high places.
C. Angel harken to the "voice" of his word when you speak it. This is how we command angel.
D. You shall have whatsoever you continue to say.
E. A man shall eat the fruit of his lips.
F. As you speak in the ears of God so does God do to you. What he said to one he said to all.
Remember the story of the woman with the issue of blood. She was ill, went to several doctors, but never recovered but rather grew worse. If you keep confessing your bad situation, it is not going to get better, but it will grow worse. But you begin to confess life and stay there; God will give you wisdom and bring your words to pass. Angels listen and act in response to the voice of his word. God watches over his words to perform it.
I had a recent experience, we were planning for a trip to Europe on a short vacation which was rather impromptu, and we needed extra money, and so I was going to get under pressure, but I had learned from God to ask and also to keep my confession on supply, so I told God simply "We need an additional $1000". Each time I will feel a pressure on the issue, I will begin to confess that I have supply and that I am fully supplied needing no aid or support. I kept this up, when the pressure thought will come, and will open my mouth and confess that in the name of Jesus, I have abundant supply for the trip, and we have so much we do not even need aid or support and I will rejoice and praise God. I repeated this severally. Well I got home one of those days and my wife said to me, “I am giving about $800 to you as my contribution, apart from buying a few necessities, I made up the balance $200 dollars, and some excess. Praise God, the word works.
4. Right Living. We have said that to live by faith implies to live by the Word, all of God’s word. Holy and righteous living is contained in the word. You can’t claim to be walking in the word when you are not living right.
I John 2:3-6 says it well:
“And this is how we may discern [[b]daily, by experience] that we are coming to know Him [to perceive, recognize, understand, and become better acquainted with Him]: if we keep (bear in mind, observe, practice) His teachings (precepts, commandments).
4Whoever says, I know Him [I perceive, recognize, understand, and am acquainted with Him] but fails to keep and obey His commandments (teachings) is a liar, and the Truth [[c]of the Gospel] is not in him.
5But he who keeps (treasures) His Word [who bears in mind His precepts, who observes His message in its entirety], truly in him has the love of and for God been perfected (completed, reached maturity). By this we may perceive (know, recognize, and be sure) that we are in Him:
6Whoever says he abides in Him ought [as [d]a personal debt] to walk and conduct himself in the same way in which He walked and conducted Himself”.
If you are not living right, then you are not walking in the word. You can’t hold onto one side of the word of faith and leave the other. Holiness and right living are fundamental parts of the word. We live right, in and out of our feeling seasons. We are committed to living right, as far as our daily lifestyle is concerned; we walk by the word of God. We obey God.
Hebrews 12:14 “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord”.
5. Right Reasoning and Imagination: Let me show something God brought to my attention so many months ago. James 1: 22, in the Amplified version “But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth]”. Now notice that James by the Holy Ghost was talking about doing the word, and not being hearers only deceiving yourself by reasoning contrary to the truth. God brought it to my attention that the first step in doing the word is to reason in line with the truth, or to line up your thinking with the truth. I call this right thinking or right imagination.
A lifestyle of walking in the word starts by us lining up our thinking with what the word of God says. Reasoning in line with the truth. This is the toughest part of walking by faith. But if you can get this right, and line up your thinking with the word you believe, walking by the word will become easy.
This is done in two steps:
Step 1: Begin to work with your imagination. What does it mean to imagine? It means to see with your mind eye. Close your eyes and imagine yourself or see yourself walking in the word, and receiving and enjoying the manifestation of what you are asking for, walking right and free. Can you do that?
This is creative thinking, because from James 1: 22 you have started doing the word, and verse 24 says you will be blessed in your deeds. “But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience)”.
When you start working you imagination, all of a sudden, you will begin to see that you need to pull down imagination and reasoning that do not line up with the word of God. Remember 2 Cor. 10: 3-4 “4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ”.
Step 2: Use your spoken word. Your words supersedes your imagination. Your word will shape your imagination. So if you start imagining the manifestation you are expecting and it is tough, just staying saying it with your mouth and then imagine it at the same time. If you don’t like a thought pattern say “no I refuse you, I see so and so”.
You know this step is what we call simulation. Aircraft pilot do this, footballer and basket ballers and golfer do this, to train their muscles and shape behavior. It is also used in cognitive therapy by psychologist.
5 things will happen when you begin to use this method:
1. You will simulate yourself walking a particular way.
2. You can pre-experience how you will feel when you are in that situation and get prepare your own proper response and define your behavior.
3. It is creative, as you begin to line up your thinking, you will begin to see manifestation.
4. There was an experiment I had about where a set of basket ballers were put in a room and another were put on a court, the ones in the room were told to imagine and fed the words to imagine, and the ones on the court played. It was observed that they expended almost the same level of energy. Imagining yourself walking in the blessing sets you up and tunes up your being to receive the blessing. If I can see, I realize, I can get it and enjoy it.
5. You can go through the entire sequence of action and reaction in your mind and pre-cast your behavior. Sometimes I just see the end, I don’t even bother seeing the process, I see me at the end of the issues, the end of the tunnel so to speak.
This is very powerful
Memory verse: Heb 10:38 "The just shall live by faith, if any man draws back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him"