Mark 11: 23 "For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he said shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.”
The Beckley’s version paraphrased read “. . .Be removed and cast into the sea, and ENTERTAINS NO DOUBT. .’
“ Shall not doubt in his heart” was a very difficult point for me, as it is for so many people until I saw the Beckley’s translation, that say “Entertains no doubt”.
What does it mean to entertain? It means to “To give reception to; to receive, in general; to receive and take into consideration; to admit, treat, or make use of.”
Another definition of Entertain is “To keep, hold, or maintain in the mind with favour; to keep in mind; to harbor; to cherish”
Can I put this out, the fact that a doubtful thought came to your mind does not imply that you are have doubted and can no longer stay in faith, The only time to your faith is impacted is when you begin to walk in the doubt and step off your faith into that doubt. You have a right to put up a fight to cast down that reasoning and imagination, and establish the knowledge you have from God. So as long as I do not keep, hold or maintain doubt in my mind with favour or I refuse to take it into consideration then, my faith will work.
Have you heard people talk about staying in Faith?, One of the ways to stay in faith is to refuse to "ENTERTAIN DOUBT". This is not just some passive act, it is done by consciously refusing that thought and then loading up God's word in your heart and in your mouth until the word rises up so strong within you, it flushes out the doubt.
Did you notice a few things in this definition of entertaining doubts:
1. A “doubt” is an opinion, only that it is not in collaboration with what we are agreeing with. And if it is an opinion, then it is free for all. I do not have control over whether there is an opinion or not or whether the opinion is passed to me or not, but I do have a choice over which and whose opinion I allow to guide and rule me. Kenneth Hagin puts it this way, there are birds, and I cannot control whether a bird flies over my head or not, but I can control whether it lands on my head.
2. I have control over what I entertain. So if contrary thoughts cross my mind, the only time they cause problem is when I decide to keep them, hold or maintain them in my mind and take them into consideration so much as to use them. No wonder it was said of Abraham, “He considered not his own body . . .” I have a choice over what I believe, receive and keep in my mind.
3. Not considering an opinion is a conscious effort. Abraham considered not his own body now dead, but was strong in faith, giving glory to God. There were two opinions, or viewpoints; the situational viewpoint that said to him, “See you are old, how will you have a child. It is impossible, except you adopt etc. Also see your wife is also old and well past menopause,”, and then there was God’s point of view that said “You may be old and it may look impossible even with man, but have I not told you, you will be the father of many nations, and a child from your loins shall inherit you”, Can I preach to you, “Have I not told you, If you give, it will be given to you by men, good measure pressed down, shaken together, running over.”
4. What did you think Abraham did each time he looked at his body and it said “Ageing”, he will look at the word, the sand of the sea shore and the stars and say “So shall my seed be, has God not said it, he has said a child from my loins shall be my heir, not a servant or a pseudo-servant, praise God”, then he would keep the picture of his son to be in his mind eye, and he would rejoice and keep the word in his mouth, saying it, picturing it, confessing it, even changing his name to Abraham, and God brought it to pass. Praise God. That is what you do, If you are givers who are drawing on their seed, “You keep it, men are giving to my bosom, good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, of finances, of open doors, of new resources unexpected, unannounced, You are seeing all your needs met, all your bills paid, you abiding in every good work, need no aid no support, praise God.
5. From this definition, I can so walk in the light of a particular word that I have almost absolute confidence and faith in its working. I come to a point where I know it cannot go wrong. This was where Sarah got to when in Heb. 11, the scripture said “She judged Him faithful, who had spoken”. She had so walked with God, reviewed his ways that she judged Him faithful.
Remember what we said about the word of God:
1. The engrafted word is able to save, soteria, completely deliver your soul if you receive, welcome, consider and entertain it.
2. Paul said in Acts 20, ‘I commit you to God and to the word of his grace which is able to keep you and to give you an inheritance”. The word is able to keep you.
3. God said, “I watch over my word to perform it” God watches over his words to perform it.
4. The Scripture says, Heaven and earth may pass away, but not a tittle of my word will pass away without accomplishing that for which it was sent”
5. The word is able to heal and deliver from any oppression. He sent his word and healed them and delivered them from their oppressions.
As the natural man’s instrument and way of getting things done is by his physical efforts, God’s instrument and way of getting things done is by his Word. Hebrews 11:2 “By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, even though it is invisible to the natural eyes, it is how what is seen was made”. That is how God gets his own things done. Genesis 1 “He said Let there be light, and there was, and he said, and he said, and he said, and they were! Praise God.
Are you getting the sense I am getting, God’s word is the power of God, released to get things done. Infact Paul said in the letters, “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, it is the power of God to effect/create/enforce salvation. . .” The angel told Mary, “No word from God is void of power to accomplish itself”. And you start to say it, it will cause angel to move (angel hearken or respond to the voice of his word), make heaven to move, men will move, to make it come to pass in your life. This is because even though the word is invisible to the natural eyes, in the spirit, it is Spirit and it is alive and active, it is Jesus himself. Jesus said, the words I speak to you, they are Spirit and they are live
John 1: 1-3, 14: “In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God, and the same was in the beginning with God, and all things were made by him, and without him was not anything made that was made.. . . And the word became flesh and dwelt amongst us and we beheld his glory as of the only begotten of the father, full of grace and truth.
Let’s make this few final observations:
1. Doubts are thoughts. Thoughts are products of information. So If I begin to fill myself up with faith filled information, I can flood out the doubtful thoughts in my mind and replace them with faith filled words. Faith comes by hearing you remember, so also doubts come by hearing.
2. Doubts are thoughts, and words are stronger than thought. Your thoughts always stop to see what your mouth is saying. Your words can re-align your thoughts. The greatest weapon against doubt and fear or anything that rises against you in your thought realm is faith filled word spoken
Memory verse: “If you shall say to this mountain be removed, be cast into the sea and does not entertain a doubt, but believes that the things he says will come to pass, he shall he says. Mark 11:23