James 2: 17-18 so also faith, if it does not have works (deeds and actions of obedience to back it up), by itself is destitute of power (inoperative, dead). But someone will say [to you then], you [say you] have faith, and I have [good] works. Now you show me your [alleged] faith apart from any [good] works [if you can], and I by [good] works [of obedience] will show you my faith.
I love the way ”works” is defined by the Amplified bible “deeds and actions of obedience”
Now let see James 1: 22 “But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth].”
Note the following:
1. Faith is demonstrated by actions of obedience. Obedience to what the word says, taking sides with the word. Kenneth Copeland explain this by saying, “faith is not shown by what you don’t do, but by what you do” you move in the direction of what the word says and what you are asking God. E.g. If you believe God for a spouse, you don’t pray and then sit in your house and away from circulation and expect a husband to come, you have to get into circulation, believing that you will be found or you will find someone.
2. The first action of obedience is to “reason in line with the truth”. James 1:22 paraphrased would read “be doers of the word, obey the message, by reasoning in line with the truth”. The first step you need to take when you begin to hear God’s word about your issue is to first begin to line up your thinking with that word. If God days by his stripes you were healed, begin to line up your thinking not to death, but to health, see yourself as healed. You need to be a doer of the word by reasoning in line with the truth. The truth has said you will not die, but live, and you agree, then begin to speak, and think, and reason, and expect and declare that you will live and not die. Align your reasoning and imagination with this truth.
3. The process of walking by faith involve that you accept the word, and take sides with it. To take sides, you will need to align your reasoning and imaginations with the truth. Consciously think in line with the truth.
Where does the faith work start? – It starts when we begin thinking in line with the truth. James 1: 24 says “Be doers of the word not hearers only, deceiving yourself by reasoning contrary to the truth. (The Amplified Bible). James begins to admonish the church about doing the word. He starts by saying it is the doer of the word that is blessed in all his deeds. And then he later says literally, be doers of the word and show this by reasoning in line with the truth.
1. The battle of faith is fought and won in the mind. You agree in your mind, the battle is won. How do you help your mind align? Through confessional prayers and meditations. Confessional prayer is one type of prayer that build your faith, and your perception. It works on your perception and your reasoning, to align it with the word of God.
2. What thoughts do you agree with unconsciously when you are alone and seeming inactive, that is the thought that gains ascendancy and rules your life.
3. Become conscious of the thought activities going on in your mind unconsciously when you are inactive, and take hold of them and re-align them.
How do we achieve this:
1. Fill your ear, eyes and mouth with God’s word and positive things. The Bible says we should put our thoughts on whatever is good, lovely, full of praise etc. Our thoughts are managed by the quality of information we place before us on a regular basis. What quality of information am I putting before me. We know obviously that we cannot sow corn seeds and reap rice, or sow yam and reap cassava. If you invest your mind in positive , godly information that is what you will reap.
2. The measure of thought and attention you pay to the word is the measure of virtue and power that will flow from it and much besides . What information type do you pay attention to, and to what measure? Sometimes we need to pay a greater measure of attention to God’s word to build our faith. We may need to pay a greater level of attention to healing messages or prosperity messages or faith messages etc, and then we will watch ourselves soar.
Memory Verse “James 1: 22 “But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth].”