Malachi 2: 15 unveiled the will of God from the foundation of the earth, for the family unit - to raise godly offsprings. "And did not God make [you and your wife] one [flesh]? Did not One make you and preserve your spirit alive? And why [did God make you two] one? Because He sought a godly offspring [from your union]. Therefore take heed to yourselves, and let no one deal treacherously and be faithless to the wife of his youth."
This is why the devil is working hard to put the family unit under siege. He wants to catch them young. If he is able to get the minds of the offsprings twisted, then a whole generation of young people will grow up in rebellion, But God forbid. That is the reason why God wants us to lead our children in the way they ought to go.
Abraham: God spoke of Abraham in Genesis18: 17-19:
17And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
18Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
19For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
We have a responsibility to teach and command our children and household to keep the way of the Lord.
Some misconceptions about raising our children:
1. Children will find their level in faith. This is a fallacy. If Children are not pointed in God's direction, they may never find it. We as parents have a duty to point them in the direction of God's word and nurture them in the admonition of the Lord. Train up your child in the way he should go and when he grows, he will not depart from it. If you don't point your children to eternal life, they may go to hell.
2. Children should be allowed to choose their faith: What we forget is that faith is not chosen in isolation. People are influenced into choosing a direction of faith. God spoke of Abraham, "For I know Him". I believe this is one of the reasons God chose Abraham. God knew that if he had Abraham, he had a generation, and all the nations of the earth - Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, japan, Myanmar, all the nations of the earth will be blessed through him. That was going to happen because Abraham was going to command his family and household to serve and obey God.
We have a responsibility to perpetuate God and godliness in our families. The bible says that one shall serve him and it shall be accounted for a generation (Psalm 22:30).
How do we model faith to our children:
1. Make a show of the word of God: Deuteronomy 11 18- 21 reads:
"18Therefore you shall lay up these my words in your [minds and] hearts and in your [entire] being, and bind them for a sign upon your hands and as forehead bands between your eyes.
19And you shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you rise up.
20And you shall write them upon the doorposts of your house and on your gates,
21That your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens are above the earth."
Make a show of the word. Get so full of the word first and then make a duty to teach them to your children in all available medium - words, music, video, toys, games, whatever avenue you have, that your days and theirs may be multiplied, like the days of heaven upon the earth.
2. Be an example to them. You need to realise that children don't just do what you say, they do what you do. Be an example. Obey God in their presence, show them that you are excited about God and it is not boring to serve God. Demonstrate forgiveness and love, demonstrate service and godliness. Point them in the direction of God.
3. Take them along to serve God. Moses said we and our children with all our belongings are leaving so we can serve the Lord. As a church, we decided to put in a place a children's church from the beginning, and we are committing resources to it to make their church as interesting as possible. We are not leaving our children back, we are all going together. The key way we can pass the gospel along our generational chain is to start today to take the children along. We are hand holding them to the promise land.
Memory verse: Psalm 22:30
A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.